Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Is Preeclampsia?

I am now taking requests for blog topics! Well, not really, but my lovely friend did ask what preeclampsia is and requested I address it in my blog, so here it goes... Preeclampsia: in short it is a form of pregnancy induced hypertension or high blood pressure and is dangerous for both mom and baby. Severe forms of preeclampsia most often lead to early induction or c-section. As my Dad so cleverly pointed out, preeclampsia is the thing that comes before eclampsia. :) Eclampsia involves seizures/strokes during pregnancy. Exciting stuff huh? Please keep in mind when reading what comes next that I am in no way a doctor and anything and everything I say is exactly what it appears to be, thoughts from someone who was given small bits of information from an OB and is also good at consulting with Dr. Google.

Preeclampsia is a disorder that happens only during pregnancy, so if you're not pregnant yay you! You're not at risk. Although it does occasionally show up right after birth as well. It usually doesn't happen until after the 20th week in the pregnancy and is characterized by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. Additional symptoms include chronic headaches, swelling, pain in the chest, blurred vision and nausea. It is also possible to have no symptoms other than the high blood pressure and protein which is why most OB's routinely check your blood pressure and ask for urine samples. So if you're planning on getting pregnant get ready for the joy of peeing in a cup regularly for nine months.

If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia one of several things could happen. If you just have a mild case it is possible your OB will put you on some medications and confine you to bed rest woohoo!). With more moderate to severe cases, you will either be induced immediately or undergo an emergency c-section. I believe these cases usually come with a blood pressure reading in the 200's and several of the other symptoms. Either way, prior to treatment, whether it be with medication or delivery, you will undergo a Non-Stress Test (NST) to evaluate the health of the baby. As the name implies, this is a pretty simple, non-stressful test. For about an hour, you and baby are monitored via blood pressure cuffs and fetal monitors. If the baby seems to be in distress from the Preeclampsia you will most likely deliver.

In order to be diagnosed with Preeclampsia you must undergo a series of tests. In addition to monitoring your blood pressure and checking for protein in your urine, you will also be given blood tests. How can a blood test help, you ask? Well, if you indeed do have preeclampsia, the high blood pressure will begin to affect other internal organs like your liver and kidneys. By taking a sample of your blood they will be able to tell if those organs have been damaged. If those results come back positive you will then be given some sort of 24-hour urine test. I'm not entirely sure what is involved in that, but I imagine it has something to do with taking several urine samples over a 24 hour period. Lovely!

Why is Dr. M. concerened that I have preeclampsia? Good question. I honestly just think she is being extra cautious, but that's what I like about her. I would much rather have my arm stabbed with a needle than risk having a stroke or any other number of awful things that could happen. Plus, like she said,, "If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen to you." As awful as that might sound, it is so true. Just ask my mom. My whole life has been a string of random health problems that no one would ever guess I had. Why just last summer, after much convincing on my part, the good DR. M. finally agreed to do a laparoscopy to look for Endometriosis. She seemed reluctant to do so and told me on numerous occasions that the chances were small. What did she find? Endometriosis! AND... a fibroid tumor as well as some ovarian cysts just for good measure. After that, the whole failing the 1-hour glucose test debacle, and pre-term labor scare, she's apparently learned that my body does the unexpected. So, when I came in three times in a row with borerline high blood pressure she figured she better test me. Smart lady. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment