Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Evolution of a Nursery

We're almost there! After my ten week stint on the couch, I have finally been able to make progress on the nursery. The ideas in my head have slowly started to become a reality. Although there's still work to be done, I am ready to share some of our progress.

It all started with the crib. A beautiful Jenny Lind crib that I slept in as did my niece. From early on I somehow got it in my head that I wanted a yellow crib and once I get something in my head that's it, it has to be done. Don't bother arguing with me. Luckily we were offered the use of my old crib. Perfect for touching up with some yellow paint! Although I did encounter some resistance from the men in my life - Dad: "It's going to be too hard. It's going to drip everywhere!" Husband: "Are you sure you don't just want to leave it the way it is??" Hello?! My whole design for the room hinges on this yellow crib. I'm sure. There was no way out of it. The crib was destined to be yellow.

This is what we started with - unfortunately I don't have a great before picture, at this point Husband had already treated it with TSP to try to get the glossy finish off.



Then the painting process began. When it comes to many things in life Husband and I tend to differ in our approaches. While I tend to be fairly meticulous, seeking near perfection, Husband takes more of a do it as quickly as possible approach and deal with the results later. This makes things in our life interesting to say the least. So when it came to this painting process, I was determined to do it my way. I didn't care if it took me a week longer to do it, I wanted it done "right." Unfortunately, Husband is still not quite trusting of my release from bed rest and inserted himself into the project. In some ways I was appreciative of the fact that I didn't have to crawl around on the floor at 8.5 months pregnant, but my comfort came at a cost. Drips. Many drips. I found myself wrestling with the same problem I frequently find myself in. Do I praise Husband for his hard work and effort and pretend I don't mind the drips or do I give in to my perfectionism and point them out? Tough decision. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I gave in. As gently as I could I pointed out some of the drips and requested he put lighter coats on all the while praising his efforts. Knowing my fragile state he just smiled and told me he would try his best. Drips. More drips.



Then, finally after some swearing we got the crib assembled. Too bad it was assembled outside... After some more swearing the crib was taken down and reassembled in the nursery. While the nursery isn't quite done (still have a wall decal to put up and a few DIY art pieces to put up) we are almost there. So here is your sneak-peek! (In case you wanted a reminder of the "before" go ahead and check out this blog post).



An adorable lamp we got at Target.



The changing table area.



His drawers all organized.



His closet.



I am so excited about all the progress that has been made. With just a few details left we are almost done. The last big piece is to get the bedding in. The bedding is inspired by this fabric:



And it is being made by my wonderful Mom. :) I can't wait to see it all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment