Friday, June 11, 2010

Breastfeeding and Dead Batteries

At my last appointment the OB gave me the go ahead to increase my activity level slightly. Woohoo! AND!! I will hopefully be taken off of bed rest completely by week 36. PARRRRTAAAYYYY!!! Woop woop! My Bo Derek moment is just on the horizon. Unbelievable.

Sadly, I'm still only 34 weeks (34 weeks 6 days to be exact) so the restrictions haven't been completely lifted just yet. You can imagine my excitement though when I got the ok to attend a breastfeeding class at our local hospital. Not only does that mean I am getting closer to the Pee Monster actually being here, but I get to get dressed, in real clothes! Then I get to drive myself somewhere like a real grown-up! So exciting!

At 9:40 this morning, after a proper amount of primping, I headed out to the car, invigorated by my big outing. As I held out my clicker to unlock my brand new CRV (hello "mom" car!) the wind in my sails was lost. Click. Nothing. CLICK! Nope, still nothing. Maybe if I push on the unlock button really hard.... nope. So maybe the clicker is dead. I unlock the door manually (imagine that!) and insert the key into the ignition. Nothing. Complete and utter silence. Sh!t. The car is dead. Completely dead.

In a bit of a panic (my freedom was on the line here!) I called Husband at work to ask him what to do. In between shouting over the leaf blower the gardener decided to turn on literally right outside my car door (seriously, he saw I was on the phone, walked over and started blowing leaves, maybe he hates me) I was ultimately able to communicate to Husband what the situation was. Ever the knight in shining armor, he came home and drove me to my breastfeeding class. Not quite the picture of freedom I had imagined, but definitely close enough. Plus I didn't have to lose out on the $25 class fee since the next available class isn't until August - just a little too late.

I arrived at the hospital a few minutes late, but luckily the class hadn't quite started yet. I awkwardly entered the room to four other pregnant ladies and one poor husband. Of course the only available seats are the ones furthest from the door. I slowly waddled my way across the room and took my seat, apologizing for being late. Shortly thereafter introductions were made and the class began. We learned about all the wonderful benefits of breastfeeding your baby as well as the different techniques. We also got an incredibly graphic, color poster of baby poop (to go on our refrigerators!) and got to practice nursing baby dolls - man are those things creepy! The one and only dad there made it through quite well, despite the nurse best efforts to embarrass him and we all left feeling more enlightened/more confused about breastfeeding. Overall it was a success!

I have since returned home, back to my bed rest throne. After getting a jump for the battery the car seems to be ok and we will take it to the dealership to be checked out tomorrow since there is no apparent reason for a dead battery. We will also be going to our childbirth classes this weekend. Exciting stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Total random recommendation... Consider renting a breast pump from the hospital if you intend to pump. The hospital pumps are highly more efficient. The pump we spent close to $200 on at Target took over an hour to pump an ounce.

    ReplyDelete