Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Disappointing Test Result

Let me start by saying that everything is fine with the baby. I had a follow-up appointment with my OB today and the baby is looking great! Good strong hear rate (140-145), head down (good boy!), and just as active as ever. Also, my cervix hasn't had any changes since the last appointment which is great news and the doctor did another fetal fibronectin test just to make sure I won't deliver within the next two weeks. I'm still waiting on the result of that test.

That brings me to the disappointing test results. When it comes to tests/grades/scores I can be a little competitive. In school nothing thrilled me more than peaking over at a neighbor's returned test/paper/project and seeing that I did better. I know, I'm sick. If it makes you feel any better I always felt a little guilty about my joy.

So, you can imagine my disappointment when I went to my appointment today only to find out that I had failed a very important test. What?? How is that possible? The doctor basically assured me that I was going to ace it, and instead I failed? FAILED! I don't fail!!! WTF?!?! Luckily (or not so luckily) this test has a do-over policy. Unfortunately when you retake the test it's a little more intense.

What is this test you ask? It's a glucose test to make sure you don't have gestational diabetes. The first test involves drinking a sickeningly sweet drink and then sitting for an hour before having blood drawn. This is the test I failed. (WTF?!?!?!) Now I have to go back in asap, drink the same nasty drink and sit there again. Only this time it's not for an hour. Oh no, nothing easy like that. It's for three. Three freaking hours of my life sucked up at the hospital lab. Waiting. waiting. waiting. All I can say is I better pass this freaking test or else! >:(

Or else what? Or else I not only have an irritable uterus, I have gestational diabetes too. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment