Thursday, April 15, 2010

Adventures in Sleeping

Pretty much since I peed on a stick last November, sleeping has ceased to be an activity that is enjoyable for me. Once upon a time I was an awesome sleeper. In fact, while some children, who will remain nameless, were forcing their eyes to stay open for as long as they possibly could, I was asking to be put to bed. What an odd child I was. In high school getting up before 10:00am was painful. No really, it hurt.

This champion sleeping continued well into my twenties and only within the last few years have I considered "sleeping in" to be anything past 9:00am. So you can imagine how sad I was when my talent was somehow stolen from me by something the size of a blueberry. Seriously, I eat blueberries for breakfast (not really, I actually don't like them very much) and here was one taking over my body?? What the heck!?

That darling little blueberry continued to grow and grow, making its presence all the more known in my life, both waking and sleeping. I went from 0-1 trips to the bathroom a night to 4-7. My body billow became grossly insufficient and was replaced by a Snoogle - a massive C-shaped pillow that now dominates our king size bed. And to top it all off, somehow as I slept less and less, my wonderful husband, who has a history of insomnia, suddenly started sleeping more. Hmmm, weird, no?

Last night was unfortunately all too similar to the previous sleepless nights. Every night I climb into my "nest" which consists of the Snoogle, a full length body pillow, a king size pillow and a regular pillow (don't ask me where they all go, it's far too complicated). Once situated, I pull up the five layers of covers and at this point I hopefully begin to drift off to sleep. This initial process is usually interrupted by the need to blow my nose or to get up to pee. Fortunately last night I was pretty tired so I fell asleep relatively quickly. Yay!

Sadly it was not meant to last.

1:00am - desperate need to pee, strongly suspect pee monster is gnawing on my bladder, try without success to ignore it.

1:15am - realize that resistance is futile, begin process of getting out of bed
  1. roll over to left side if not already there - this in itself can be quite difficult considering the massive lump of a baby on my abdomen.
  2. wait for irritable uterus to become less irritated (walking with a full bladder + contractions = not fun)
  3. disentangle self from pillow nest
  4. peel back any covers that have not been tossed onto husband during bought of night sweats
  5. swing legs over the side of the bed
  6. push upper body up with arms - using ab muscles is a thing of the past
  7. stumble to bathroom as baby bounces on full bladder
Last night something unusual happened. Somehow the process got held up at step 5. I successfully completed steps 1-5 at approximately 1:20am.

1:40 - wake up to intense bladder pain, a 2lb baby pressing on the Vena Cava and legs dangling over side of bed

My thought process went something like this: Huh? What? What's going on? How did I get here? Didn't I get up to go pee? Did I come back and fall asleep this way? Ow, my bladder hurts. Ow! My back hurts too. *whimper whimper* Why am I on my back? Holy crap! I never got out of bed! I still need to pee! UGH!!!!!!

You would think that after that I would have at least slept well. Nope. Not so. With two more trips to the bathroom (see steps 1-7), the clicking/rattling noise from the heater vent, and general pregnancy pain, sleep was just not meant to be. Once the husband left for work I officially gave up and have now returned to my throne (the couch) for the day. To lift my spirits I will leave you with a favorite youtube video of mine



Seriously! John Stamos in ripped jeans singing about his undying love for me... um, I mean for someone, and little chubby naked babies... I don't think it gets better than that! Plus that bed he's in looks super cozy, like I could sleep for twelve hours straight.

2 comments:

  1. I feel you. Sleeping is the worst! I've also found it heartbreaking that sleep is no longer a pleasure. I used to look forward to bedtime. In fact, I've finally given up and have been sleeping on the couch the past 4 nights. I seem to be able to build a specific pillow construct on the couch that I'm unable to recreate on our bed. I wouldn't go so far as to say I sleep comfortably on the oouch; it's is however less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh! I totally remember watching that video on Full House (TGIF!) so very long ago! Thanks for bringing me back!

    Can you take hot baths? I spent hours in the bathtub every night when I was pg with Eloise. It really helped relax me so that I got better sleep. Also swimming helped, if you ever get off bed rest! Good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete