Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pediatrician Interviews

Apparently all I needed to do was complain about how I have blogger's block to get unblocked. Who says complaining isn't useful??

With approval from my doctor I will be taking about a half hour out of my Wednesday and Thursday next week to interview two pediatricians. I was going to take the slacker route and just take whoever is at the hospital when I go in to labor, but then a nosy mom got super nosy and pushed me to actually do the interviews. So, like an obedient little novice, I have scheduled the appointments. I'm hoping one of them doesn't suck. To make sure I remember everything I have compiled a list (four pages) of questions to ask the doctor/staff/myself. Yep I plan on grilling those suckers. I won't let just anyone handle my little man. Clearly he needs the best that pediatrics has to offer!

In case you are interested I have included the questions here. I'm giving fair warning; it's pretty long so you might fall asleep reading it. Some of the questions were taken from babycenter.com, but I adapted several of them to fit my needs and added a few of my own, including the rating section at the end. I figure I might as well post it in case someone else is looking for questions to ask.

Name of doctor:

Name of practice:

Location:

Phone:

How did you hear of this doctor?


About the Practice - Questions For The Staff

1. Do you take (name of insurance)?

2. Is this a solo or group practice? solo / group
  • If group, how often will we see other doctors in the practice?
3. How long has this doctor been in practice? ______ years

4. Does the doctor have any subspecialties?

5. What are your hours?

6. What evening or weekend hours are available?

7. How will we reach you if my child gets sick after hours?

8. How can I reach the doctor in an emergency?

9. When the doctor's not on call, who covers?

10. Which hospitals is the doctor affiliated with?

11. Does the practice have a Web site? yes / no
* If so, what's the URL?

12. How does the practice handle payments, billing, laboratory charges, and insurance claims?


Questions For The Doctor

1. Where are your views on:
  • bottle vs. breast-feeding
  • circumcision
  • immunizations/vaccinations (delayed schedule?)
  • getting babies to sleep (Cry It Out, etc.?)
  • Attachment Parenting/4th Trimester
  • Holistic/Alternative Medicine?
2. Does your practice encourage parents to call for routine/non-emergency questions? yes/no

3. Do you communicate via e-mail? yes / no

4. Do you see newborns in the hospital or at the first office visit?

5. If I go in to preterm labor will you be taking care of the baby at the hospital?

6. Will you be available for discussions about my child's behavioral developments (discipline issues, social development, ADD/ADHD, etc.)? yes / no

7. What do you like best about your job?


Questions to Ask Yourself

1. Was everything clean? yes / no

2. Is the waiting room pleasant and kid-friendly? yes / no

3. Were toys and books available to occupy your child? yes / no

4. Were the office staff and nurses helpful and patient? yes / no

5. How long were you kept waiting?
  • In the waiting room?
  • In the exam room?

6. Is there a chair in the room for the doctor? yes / no (This is important to me because it indicates whether or not the doctor takes time to actually sit with the patient vs. get out as quickly as possible).

7. Does the doctor seem to welcome questions? yes / no

8. Does the doctor seem to know about the latest medical advances? yes / no

9. Is the doctor's style of communication a good fit with yours? yes / no

10. Is the doctor more inclined to give you directions or offer you options? directions / options

11. Did you feel comfortable with the doctor? yes / no

12. Was parking readily available? yes / no

13. Is there a separate waiting area for sick vs well children? yes/no

14. Does the doctor respect my religious beliefs?

Rate:

Office Staff Overall Friendliness

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Doctor Overall Friendliness

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Office Atmosphere

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Doctor’s Knowledge/Experience

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Way to be prepared.

    I would add to ask yourself if the doctor seems respectful of your faith. This may never come up, but when it does, it means a lot.

    Also, along with question 1, I wonder if you can ask how they feel about alternative medicines and holistic care. No matter your personal stance, you can find out a lot about your doctor by listening to them talk about that stuff. Also, you mentioned attachment-parenting, but you might also specifically mention co-sleeping or bed-sharing if you're interested in doing that.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! Adding the questions now!

    ReplyDelete