Thursday, May 6, 2010

Four Weeks and a New Dress

Today marks four whole weeks of bed rest. Who knew it could be done? Seriously if you think it's easy, just try one week of bed rest and then get back to me. That's not to say that it's the worst thing in the world, it certainly could be worse, but the loss of muscle, back/neck/shoulder/everything pain combined with sheer boredom is no walk in the park. Over the past four weeks I've logged countless hours online, become intimately connected to my T.V. (turns out A Baby Story will make me cry every. single. time. - go figure!) and have somehow avoided reading all of my childbirth and parenting books (whoops!).

It hasn't all been bad though. I do get to sleep in every day, I have sole control of the remote, and I have frequent visitors. Turns out being the Queen of Bed Rest makes you semi-popular. Today my lovely church lady friend brought me the most delicious grilled chicken sandwich on a croissant, some decaf iced tea and a mini eclair! Then as if that wasn't nice enough she vacuumed!! I am so thankful for how supportive everyone in my life has been. The phone calls and visits have helped prevent me from losing my mind. It has been an amazing four weeks of discovery and love. Husband has stepped up and taken care of everything. After twelve hours of work he comes home and either helps me finish make dinner or makes it himself. He cleans up the messes, takes care of Mr. Chatner, then continues to do work on the computer. Plus he always finds time to give me a kiss and hug. How great is he?!? Aww, I got all mushy on you.

Today it really hit me how much my life has changed in the last four weeks. One day I was preparing to go in to work and being told I had to go to labor and delivery instead and the next I was taken out of work and put on bed rest. That day I was sure I would go in and they would send me home telling me I was just overreacting to Braxton Hicks contractions. No such luck. I went from going to work every day to be stuck on the couch and watching Dr. Phil. How did I start watching Dr. Phil?? I can't stand him! Or least I couldn't stand him... Today the clock struck 3:00pm and I actually raced (as much as a pregnant bed rest lady can) to the remote because God forbid I miss the McGraw grandbaby making her television debut. (OMG so freaking adorable!) How did I get here? So sad.

I've also developed a serious online *window* shopping addiction. My latest obsession has been maternity dresses. Although I think maternity fashion has greatly improved over the years, for some reason maternity dresses have not. Unless I wanted to pay $75+ for a dress I was only going to wear a few times, it seemed I was going to be stuck in a frumpy colorless sack for my baby showers. Finally I turned to ebay. I usually don't like trusting ebay sellers when it comes to clothing, but since I'm stuck on bed rest it's not like I can spend time looking in the stores anyway. After a month of searching I found this:


Pretty, no? It came today and fits very nicely. It's a hand-dyed silk dress by Japanese Weekend. Their dresses normally retail for $75+ and I got it for $25, quite the steal! I still have my black belt in shopping!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting through 4 weeks of bed rest! I hope the rest flies by.

    What a cute dress! I guess they do exist! I have two plain black maternity dresses. I've almost given up trying to look hip. I'm settling for "not embarrassing".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful husband! And what a wonderful church, too, to be so supportive.

    ReplyDelete