Sunday, May 2, 2010

525,600 Contractions...

How do you measure, measure my life?

Sorry, only my readers who are familiar with the musical "Rent" will get that reference, but still I think it gets across the point. I may not have had 525,600 contractions, but I sure have had a lot and this morning was no exception.

Yesterday I went on a little adventure (approved by the doctor) and unfortunately may have overdone it. Husband had to run a few errands so I decided to go with him. Most of my time was spent sitting in the car except for a quick trip into Target to pick out a swim suit (boy do I look funny in a bikini) and then what should have been a quick trip into AT&T Mobility to get Husband a new phone. This was where everything turned to crap. Long story short, I ended up having to stand there for about 45 minutes (no chairs in the whole freaking store) while the ditz behind the counter fumbled around with my phone because somehow, inexplicably, the computer switched my SIM card with Husbands. She said it was no big deal and gave me a new SIM card, but when she did that she lost over half of my numbers. After a solid half hour of her fumbling around I told her I was done, to give me the phone and I was leaving. How do I go into a store to get Husband a new phone and end up leaving with mine all jacked up? Lame.

Needless to say, I was pretty pissed and evidently so was my uterus because it's been complaining ever since. This morning I woke up at 5:30 with regular contractions, every 2-5 minutes. Normally, although I feel a little concerned, I am able to brush them off because I know that I had a negative fetal fibronectin and they don't hurt. This time they were accompanied by some pretty uncomfortable cramping. After about 2.5 hours of this I finally decided to call my doctor just to see if I should worry. Unfortunately my doctor was not available so I had to talk with the on-call doctor who I can't stand. Let's just say she's incredibly flighty and the last time I dealt with her she completely brushed me off. This time was no different.

She said that because the fFN was negative I would not go in to labor and that the contractions are fine as long as they aren't changing my cervix. Right... and how am I supposed to know if they are changing my cervix or not?? Check it myself?!?! She told me I could take the Procardia (contraction med) if I wanted to ease my mind, but that was about it. WTF?? I'm not taking Procardia just to make my fears go away! I only want to take it if it is medically necessary. The last time I took Procardia I ended up in the hospital with a terrible reaction (which she knew about).

Then the best part, she actually laughed and said something about how this is my first pregnancy and it will all pass, soon it will all be a distant memory. WTF?? I get that this is all very routine for you, but it's not for me! Don't treat me like I'm some sort of overly paranoid first-timer either. I'm not calling about Braxton Hicks here! These are contractions that are regular and painful and that's NOT NORMAL! At least it's not normal for a regular person. Maybe this is just my lot in life and that IS normal for me and I am actually fine. I don't know. It sure would be nice if someone would tell me, wouldn't it?

Ultimately I decided to wait it out and go to labor and delivery if the contractions didn't ease up. Fortunately they have calmed down considerably and although I'm still feeling crampy I think I'm just going to continue to rest at home. Apparently this is just all one big guessing game. Fun isn't it?

In case you were curious about the Rent reference at the beginning of this post... Seasons of Love from the musical Rent:



Brings me back to high school.

1 comment:

  1. I think they don't tell you because they don't know and rather than admit that they have to attempt to make you feel silly.

    I strongly suggest that you loudly say you are sitting on the floor - a pregnant lady sitting on the floor - because they can't find you a chair next time you are at the phone store. I bet they really have a chair back there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete